by Supervising Apostle Thaddeus Omonzane, 2008
The fear of the Lord is an aspect of the anointing. It is respecting God with the audacity to obey Him and His Word. When you respect God, it will restrain you from doing things that displease Him and go against His Word.
A. To fear the Lord is to have respect for Him because of Who He is and what He has done in your life.
1. The fear of the Lord is an aspect of God’s burden-removing, yoke-destroying power (Isaiah 11: 1, 2).
2. When you fear the Lord, you respect Him enough to have the audacity to obey Him.
3. God must be respected in order for you to obey Him.
a. When you disobey God and His Word, you demonstrate your lack of respect for Him.
b. There are consequences for disobedience, even though God loves you. He is still a God of judgment.
4. To fear the Lord is to love and serve Him, walk in His ways and obey His commandments (Deuteronomy 10:12, 13, 16). ….Now Israel, this what the lord your God wants you do: Respect the Lord your God, and do what he has told you to do. Love him. Serve the lord with your whole being, and obey the Lord’s commands and laws that I am giving you today for your own good…. Give yourself completely to serving him and do not be stubborn any longer
5. Fearing God and keeping His commandments are Christian duties (Ecclesiastes 12:13). …..Honor God and obey his commands because this is all people all people must do
a. The purpose of God’s commandments is to help you avoid the pitfalls of life.
b. The fear of the Lord is the answer to everything.
c. If you fear God and keep His commandments, God promises that things will go well for you and your children (Deuteronomy 5:29)… I wish their hearts would always respect me and that they would always obey my commands so that things would go well for them and their children forever.
i. It is important that you teach your children to respect God and adults.
B. To fear the Lord is to hate evil (Proverbs 8: 12, 13). ……I am wisdom, and smart. I also have knowledge and good sense. If you respect the lord, you will also hate evil. I hate pride and bragging, evil ways and lies.
1. Believers must hate what God hates.
c. The evil way
d. Perverted and twisted speech
2. When you fear God, you will turn away from sin (Proverbs 16:6, 7). …Love and truth forgiveness of sin. By respecting the Lord you will avoid evil. When people live so that they please the Lord, even their enemies will make peace with them
C. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 1:7)….Wisdom begins with respect for the Lord. Those who obey his orders have good understanding. He should praised forever.
“Knowledge begins with respect for the Lord, but fools hate wisdom and self control”.
D. The first step toward attaining wisdom and knowledge is walking in the fear of the Lord, which is respecting God and His Word.
E. Great people of the Bible demonstrated their respect for God through their actions.
1. Noah obeyed God when God instructed him to build an ark (Genesis 6:13,14).
2. Abraham obeyed God through his willingness to sacrifice his only son because he feared God (Genesis 22:1-12).
3. Out of respect for God, Isaiah followed His instructions to strip himself and walk naked for three years (Isaiah 20:2-3). ..Take the rough cloth off your body, and take off your sandals off your feet. So Isaiah obeyed and walked around naked and barefoot.----Isaiah my servant has walked around naked and barefoot for three years as a sign against Egypt and Cush.
4. Ezekiel laid on his side for over a year because God told him to do so (Ezekiel 4:1-9). Then lie down on your left side, and take the guilt of Israel on your self. Their guilt will be on you for the number of days you lie on your left side. …So you will have the guilt of Israel’s sin on you for three hundred ninety days.
5. God told Hosea to marry a prostitute to demonstrate the sin of the nation of Israel and Hosea obeyed out of fear of God (Hosea 1:2).
6. God told Ananias to go pray and lay hands on
Saul. He demonstrated the fear of the Lord by doing what was commanded of him (Acts 9:10-17).
7. Jonah feared the Lord (Jonah 1:9).
8. When you walk in the fear of the Lord, you will be comforted by the Holy Spirit (Acts 9:31). ..The church everywhere in Judea, Galilee and Samaria had a time of peace and became stronger. Respecting the Lord by the way they lived, and being encouraged by the Holy Spirit, the group of believers continued to grow.
F. Respect for God causes restraint from sin.
1. You can restrain yourself from giving in to your flesh when you respect God and His Word.
2. Respect God because of the mercy He has shown toward you.
3. The fear of the Lord will keep you holy and in agreement with God.
A. When you walk in the fear of the Lord, you respect Him and have the audacity to obey Him.
1. God requires that you fear Him, walk in His ways, love Him and serve Him with all your heart (Deuteronomy 10:12).
a. Abraham displayed the fear of the Lord through his obedience when God commanded him to sacrifice his only son, Isaac (Genesis 22:1, 2, 12).
2. Respect for God produces restraint in the life of those that fear Him.
a. Just because you are tempted doesn’t mean you have to fall.
i. How you handle temptation determines if you truly fear the Lord.
B. Respecting God is the foundation for all biblical principles.
1. The conclusion of every matter is to respect God.
a. When you walk in the fear of the Lord you hate the things He hates: pride, evil, arrogance, twisted speech, etc.
2. Walking in the fear of the Lord is not just a requirement: it provides protection for you.
a. It will cause things to go well for you and your children (Deuteronomy 5:29).
b. It will release the blessing of God in your life.
i. Failing to respect and honor the Lord will block the blessing.
C. Walking in the fear of the Lord has many benefits.
1. Angels encamp around you and deliver you (Psalm 34:7). The angel of the Lord camps around those who fear God, and he saves them
2. Days are added to your life (Proverbs 10:27). --- Whoever respects the Lord will have long life, but the life of an evil person will be cut short
3. You will avoid the snares of death (Proverbs 14:27, AMP). Respect for the Lord gives life. It is like a fountain that save people from death
4. You will be satisfied and evil will not visit you (Proverbs 19:23). Those who respect the Lord will live and be satisfied, unbothered by trouble.
5. You will have riches, honor and life as a reward (Proverbs 22:4, AMP). Respecting the Lord and not being proud will bring wealth, honor, and life
6. Fearing God is your treasure (Isaiah 33:6). ..He will be your safety. He is full of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge. The respect for the lord is the greatest treasure.